The ongoing prattlings of a lifelong geek and his random luck with love, work, children and rediscovering himself.

2006-11-19

DVDx Saves The Day

I don't recommend software very frequently, but since I'm now waist deep into minor video editing (mainly for the purpose of mastering DVDs, such as those I create for the Spruce Creek High Steppin' Hawks Band here in Port Orange, Florida) and found myself in a predicament in regards to using my Sony HandyCam's (model DCR-DVD105) widescreen DVD videos with any success, I can now definitely say that DVDx was my savior!

This free utility lets me convert my VOBs into multiple other formats (in my case, I chose WMV for various reasons) after a little bit of time spent converting and measuring to verify integrity of the video.

I still have no clue (not DVDx's fault) why when I want something to be in the same aspect ratio as it originated in, I have to falsify the destination resolution. Mental note to myself and all - when converting a 720x480 VOB to a similarly 3:2, or 1.5:1 ration WMV, I ended up using a ratio of 1.7666:1, for which I'm not clear why, yet, nor why multiple softwares state that you have to "figure this out" - why isn't it constant? It's all digital...). Specifically, in my case, so far I'm using 848x480 as the output resolution, at Full Zoom (i.e., none) to get a great file that matches the 720x480 aspect ratio. Really bizarre stuff, in my opinion. Maybe one day I'll spend the time to figure it out...

In any case, DVDx can be found via this website, or on SourceForge where it is hosted.

No comments:

Post a Comment