The ongoing prattlings of a lifelong geek and his random luck with love, work, children and rediscovering himself.

2010-06-09

Infiltration BAD!

I'm currently having an IV at the hospital to get medicine in me for a problem I'm getting resolved (horrific back pain, among other things). Tonight, at 10:50pm, I woke up and came very close to screaming.

The IV had apparently slipped out of the vein, but stayed in my skin, and the two drugs being fed into me were going there (instead of into the bloodstream as is needed). My left arm was very firm to the touch, and felt like it would literally pop if I had a pin to do so.

Needless to say, I freaked out.

First thought:   I was having an allergic reaction, but I'd had this drug before years ago. So I moved on to...

Second thought:   I was having a heart attack. Left arm, seemingly numb, vague memories of being told that numbness in the left arm is what precedes a heart attack.

I hit the nurse button. I continue to escalate my concern verbally ("someone please come here quickly," a bit loudly)... and a CNA shows up asking who I needed. "The nurse, please.. hurry.." while I'm holding my arm. Having your arm feel like an over inflated balloon is not at all "comfortable".

I'm told that the IV has infiltrated and what that means (link here for Wikipedia). I begin calming down. Whoa. That was NOT FUN. Jiminy christmas!!! So I'm laying here finishing this post, and will then hold my arm up in the air (per the Wikipedia article on this).

Hey, Seinfeld's on. Something to distract me...

No comments:

Post a Comment