The ongoing prattlings of a lifelong geek and his random luck with love, work, children and rediscovering himself.

2007-01-02

Wikipedia Antics

Holy heck. I participate in maintaining multiple articles on Wikipedia, and until now had no problems.

Now that I'm formally posting an entry that I know more about than anyone on this planet... the history of Orbiter Online, my BBS and ISP, I'm sudden getting friction from "the powers that be" who very quickly removed my entry as a "possible advertisement".

So now I'm reading through pages and pages of Wikipedia guidelines to try and iron this out. I've emailed several Orbiter users, in the hopes that some of them will help me out, though the links I've sent them both are now bad thanks to those manipulating the situation at Wiki's site, and if the users in question are not familiar with Wikipedia, they're not going to be able to do much to help me.

One person stated that since Orbiter has no ranking on Alexa (a "very recent" web ranking mechanism in the timeline of the internet, especially considering that Orbiter it over 12 years old) that this is part of the reason why Orbiter should not be included. So, by that guideline, if you do not rank on Alexa, don't bother posting your site or web page to Wikipedia because "it's not worth it". I am especially disturbed that something that is dictated by AMAZON.COM is causing me this grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment