The ongoing prattlings of a lifelong geek and his random luck with love, work, children and rediscovering himself.

2006-04-17

My Creative Side

I have to admit it.   Not only am I the ultimate band geek parent (or band parent geek, or some kind of band+parent+geek entity), but I am now officially entrenched into my former creative side.

I've collected comic books since around 1979.   I freely admit that because it's not only cool, it's a major investment for either me, or one day my children.   I loved to draw in my spare time -- I never really thought I was that good.   At one point, a friend and I toyed with making a comic company (never anything serious) which was called "R&M Comics" (Rigali and Malena, our italian/sicilian last names), a few pieces of the artwork from which has survived (you can see a few pieces of it if you are a member of RoosterTeeth.Com -- look for AMMalena there -- or by visiting my website).

In any case, with the creation of the Peach Bowl DVD that many of the band students purchased (which was basically an archive of all their adventures in Georgia last December, set to music), I got the itch back.

Now, after having been dubbed the band's official photographer, having been nominated to the board as the Football Program handler (i.e., I get to create the advertising program that is passed out at football games next year), I am now making two more DVDs -- the Year-End DVD (covering the different bands' and color guard's events over the school year) as well as the Senior Farewall DVD (which based on the current product, I think may actually pull a tear or two out of some graduates).

I'm totally into this.. like, massively, insanely, absolutely loving it.   It gives my mind something to do instead of wasting time doing NOTHING productive on the computer, and allows me to exercise my creative muscles quite a bit.   If I had a partner in life at the moment, I'd have already bought a digital video camera so that the two of us could be recording events from two angles (alas, that will not happen any time soon, I believe).   So currently, I do all capturing (both video and still with my 8MP Sony DSC-F828 camera w/6GB of storage).   Who knows.   This could even be the beginning of an eventual career change. (?)

The one thing that's been a thorn so far:   remixing music -- or more specifically, having to remix the same song now four times due to changes in the Senior Video.   What a pain... but the end result is still awesome.   :-)

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had the motivation to do some sort of cool audio/video project. I've started to wonder why I spent all those thousands of dollars on fast computers just to watch Firefox open .003 seconds faster. A miniDV camcorder would either go well with or totally ruin my next project, which is the 2 terabyte array.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to get a 'recorder that goes to digital file directly as opposed to MiniDV or any of the others, but they are the priciest. If I knew someone who used the MiniDV type, I'd like to pick their brain (how quickly it transfers to the computer, is it rewritable - I would assume so, is it truly digital or just analog on digital tape like using a regular DVR with your HD TV, etc...)

    ReplyDelete