The ongoing prattlings of a lifelong geek and his random luck with love, work, children and rediscovering himself.

2006-12-23

Christmas 2006

So it's December 23rd (barely) and I have bought one gift (he better like it) and one family gift (I know some of us will enjoy it).

I've really been turned off by this Christmas season. I kept thinking about making cookies again for co-workers as I did last year (huge but fun ordeal) and never did. I did actually buy a nice used item for David and Keith at work which hopefully they're using. But in reality, I've not sent one card and am finding it near impossible to get motivated to try and do any more purchasing.

I did buy wireless network cards for the kids four computers, so that the cable across the entrance area can be removed, and if their computers ever move, they just need to be plugged in, not wired for 'net. That will be nice... once I get up and actually put the cards in (today, I'd like to believe).

Amanda took her written driver's permit test, but had a problem and will need to take it again. I'm not so concerned about that as I am about the fact that for the first time, she could not hide from me the fact I've know for years -- she should be wearing glasses. She is far too vain, unfortunately, and will not wear them ("I'll buy contacts, I won't wear glasses"). We live in reality where contacts cost a LOT more than a pair of glasses to buy and maintain. However, barely passing the vision test, only by squinting and opening each eye over and over, was not a good sign. We'll be discussing this soon when I can get time to take all four kids for a non-annual eye exam. Anthony needs new glasses to break, anyway.

I've been taking the opportunity this past couple of weeks to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the XBox 360, and handily beat it on Normal, while I currently make my way through Hard. Check the achievements on our Live account.

(sigh) Hopefully by Christmas I will have gotten a few more purchases done, but...

3 comments:

  1. Seems like it would've been cheaper/easier to get a bridge and plug into existing hub rather than crack open four computers. At least I know my wifi will be waiting for me next time I come over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The computers will not necessarily be staying where they are (shhhh, the kids NEVER read my journal, so they don't know yet) (er, wait...) Else, yes, I would have bought a wireless bridge. Considered, rejected...

    ReplyDelete
  3. never read your journal ehhh???

    hmmm okay dad.

    ReplyDelete