The ongoing prattlings of a lifelong geek and his random luck with love, work, children and rediscovering himself.

2005-07-23

MOVIE: Fantastic 4

(I'm still getting used to calling it Fantastic "4" instead of "Four")

As a lifelong comics collector, I certainly had big expectations for this movie (and as well, understood full well that it would be revamped, altered and different than any Fantastic Four that had ever existed before). I also knew the storyline and many details being the internet geek that I am, before seeing the movie.

In all, I was happy with the movie. The effects were "good" (but I was really hoping for TOP of the line, and they were not - The Thing and Mister Fantastic were lacking by far in my opinion).

Doctor Doom was played well, though having him as part of the crew (so he gained his OWN powers), having him CLEARLY not as smart as Reed Richards (more of a Donald Trump mentality than anything) and having him NOT sound different when donning his mask (this could be explained easily in sequels that he alters his voice later with technology) were really frustrating. Also having him totally focused on taking Susan Storm as his own (being one of his primary goals) was a bit off.

The "big finale" was well done, though, in general. I could nitpick this movie to DEATH if I really wanted to (especially as a collector of the series) but I choose to enjoy this "movie version" of the story, just like Spider-Man, just like the Hulk.

Shipping Doom's "body" off to Latveria at the end... now THAT was smart(!). I truly look forward to a sequel with a bigger budget and BETTER EFFECTS for the rest of the FF. They've got Sue and Johnny down pat - let's get Reed and Ben up to snuff now guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment