The ongoing prattlings of a lifelong geek and his random luck with love, work, children and rediscovering himself.

2005-07-23

MOVIE: Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

I'm still trying to decide if I liked this movie or not.

It was visually appealing. It was colorful. Johnny Depp did a great job as a "tramautized" Willa Wonka (as opposed to Gene Wilder's "psychotic" Wonka). The kids, including "Charlie", were fine.

But then Boba Fett came in. I mean the Oompa Loompa. I mean the Oompa Loompas (plural). It was revenge of the clones. Why do this? Did Tim Burton think it was a GOOD idea? It was stupid. The effects that tried to make them appear small compared to humans was also not "up to par" (unfortunately this is something you compare to "current technology", not "in general" - in general, these were good effects).

And the music... whoa. I wasn't prepared for SUCH modernization, I guess. I expected the Oompa Loompa song, customized for each child. This was different. It wasn't "bad", per se. It was just different.

I may need to see this again, just to feel more clearly about it (and I guess that means in general I was NOT satisfied with it). Some movies I see again (and again!) because I love them. This one, I may see again just to try and figure it out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment