The ongoing prattlings of a lifelong geek and his random luck with love, work, children and rediscovering himself.

2007-10-08

Pet Peeves, updated

A loooooong time ago, I started a "Pet Peeves" document, because I wanted to document those things that really bug me. I just added a new one today.

#10   People who make you repeat things, and then cut you off before you've barely even begun to repeat it. Example:

  • A: "Do you think the survey will require us to use the new Active-X control?"

  • B: "What?"

  • A: "Do you think *" (interrupted)

  • B: "Yeah, I think maybe we'll have to when the time comes"

In other words, if they'd taken a half-second to think about what was said, instead of wasting the other person's time starting to repeat what they said, it would be less frustrating. For this reason, I always wait at least 1-2 seconds before replying to "What" to people like this. I also force myself to think about what people say to me (imagine that!) so that I'm not guilty of the same thing.

2 comments:

  1. Technically, no time is wasted in the scenario you've laid out. Only words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasting time is one thing. Being a predictable, annoying, dipstick is another. The people I'm thinking of (the current king being a co-worker I can't seem to get moved away from) are just.. plain.. annoying.

    ReplyDelete