The ongoing prattlings of a lifelong geek and his random luck with love, work, children and rediscovering himself.

2005-06-25

THEATER: Aida (Seaside Music Theater @ DBCC)

I had originally seen this a couple years ago in Orlando (in a much larger venue) and was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

This version presented by Seaside was EXCELLENT!

Even my sons enjoyed it (I knew my daughters would). From the first-last scene full-circle story, to the various sets, to the great musical numbers... it was worth every penny.

Getting to sit a lot closer (due to the smaller theater) made it even more enjoyable. We were able to see every nuance, every action (including one slight wording flub by the King Of Nubia) and were truly entertained by this awesome production.

Greg Mills as Captain Radames: He did quite well. I found myself comparing him to the actor who played the part in Orlando (who's name I no longer remember), but it was a good comparison. He made the part his own.

Carly Hughes as Aida: She was a completely different style from the person who filled the part in Orlando. She was a little more terse, or gruff, and it worked just fine. She (along with Mills and many others) were professional actors brought in to play the part.

Jaygee Macapugay as Amneris: As the person who begins and ends the play, she performed her role well. Her asian-flavor added to the role made it even more interesting in some ways than what I previously remembered (especially with her performance surrounding "My Strongest Suit").

I love this production, and Seaside did a FINE job with it.   :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment